CANADIANA FACTS

The Canadiana came down the ways of the Buffalo Dry-Dock in May of 1910, the last passenger vessel to be built in Buffalo at the end of the maritime era. With the classic lines of all Frank Kirby boats, she is the personification of his palatial steamships which plied the waters of the Great Lakes into the 1950's.

The Canadiana featured stately, Victorian architecture, salons done in rich mahogany, beveled mirrors, brass railings and lighting fixtures, grand stairways with sweeping banisters and stately newels, stained and leaded glass windows and gilded plaster Neptune's heads between each, accenting the walls.

Ceilings were done with three-dimensional plaster formations of grape vines and rose clusters enhancing ovals of mahogany molding that, in turn, framed hand painted scenes and still-life's. To say she was elegant is an understatement.

The ship was 215 feet long and 54 feet wide amidships. She weighed in at 974 tons and was powered by a triple-expansion steam engine developing 1,446 horsepower. There were three passenger decks with an original capacity of 3,500 passengers and had the largest dance floor of any passenger steamer ever placed on the Great Lakes. She sailed from the Buffalo harbor on lake cruises and to a Canadian amusement park and was one of the area's great attractions through the close of the maritime era and into the late 50's. Millions of people have happy and romantic memories of dancing and sailing under the stars on a sparkling sea. She was affectionately known as "The Crystal Beach Boat".

Additional information from Wikipedia

The SS Canadiana was a passenger ferry that primarily operated between Buffalo, New York and the Crystal Beach Amusement Park at Crystal Beach, Ontario, Canada from 1910 to 1956. The Canadiana was also noted for being the last passenger vessel to be built in Buffalo, New York.

After being sold in 1956 the Canadiana changed owners numerous times and by 1983 she was berthed in Ohio needing major restoration. A nonprofit group, the "Friends of the Canadiana", brought the ship back to Buffalo in 1984 with a hope of restoring her to service. When restoration efforts failed the ship was scrapped at Port Colborne, Ontario in 2004.

The Canadiana was built at the Buffalo Dry Dock on Ganson Street in 1910 and was the last passenger vessel to be built in Buffalo. She was designed by marine architect Frank E. Kirby who would go on later to design the largest side wheel excursion ships built for the Great Lakes, the Greater Buffalo and the Greater Detroit.

The completed ship was 215 feet (66 m) long and a 54 feet (16 m) beam amidships. She was powered by one coal fired triple-expansion steam engine that produced 1,446 horsepower and a single propeller provided propulsion. The Canadiana also had a cutout in the main deck to allow passengers to view the "workings" of the engine.

The Canadiana was fitted with brass railings, red mahogany trim from Honduras and beveled mirrors. She was designed to be a premier vessel designed not only for transportation but also for pleasure. Originally intended to carry 3500 passengers, it was decided by the United States Coast Guard that 1800 was a safer number. With the reduction in passenger capacity, the ship's owners found room to construct the largest dance floor of any steamer ever placed on the Great Lakes.

After her completion, the Canadiana joined her sister ship, the Americana, which had been built in 1908. Both ships would make round trip passages between Buffalo and Crystal Beach until the Americana was sold in 1929. Although the Canadiana was popularly known as "The Crystal Beach Boat", she would occasionally make journeys to other destinations including Port Colborne, Ontario. Nevertheless, Crystal Beach remained its primary destination.

After the completion of the Peace Bridge in 1927, which allowed automobile traffic between Buffalo and Crystal Beach, some of the popularity of the Canadiana was lost. Ticket prices were kept low in order to attract the necessary patrons to made the ship profitable. During World War II, the Canadiana saw an increase in business. This was due, in part, to gas rationing because of the war. A British pilot, who was flying with the Canadian Air Force, was killed when he lost control of his aircraft while "buzzing" the Canadiana during World War II as well.

In its last year of service an "incident" happened onboard the Canadiana. While returning from Crystal Beach to Buffalo on the evening of May 30, 1956, violence erupted between several youths. The group of belligerents, made up of whites and African-Americans, left little doubt that racism was a factor in the incident. This incident, along with shrinking revenues, made continued operation of the ship uneconomical. The 1956 season proved to be the last for the Canadiana and she was sold.

After being sold, the Canadiana was involved in an accident on July 30, 1958. While on her normal excursion trip traveling upstream on the Maumee River from her berth in Toledo to Bob-Lo Island, the Canadiana was struck by a railroad swing bridge and damaged. The Canadiana was sold in 1960 and was towed to Cleveland, Ohio being unofficially renamed Pleasurama. From 1960 through 1967 the Canadiana was stored at Buffalo, Fairport and Cleveland. She sank at her berth in Cleveland on February 17, 1982 and wasn't refloated until May 1983. Following her refloat, she was moved to Ashtabula, Ohio.

The group "Friends of the Canadiana" was formed in 1983 to try to save the ship. She was purchased by the group and towed back to Buffalo during September 1984. In July 1988, after being stripped down for restoration, the Canadiana was towed to the Marsh Engineering Dock at Port Colborne, Ontario for dry-docking. When restoration plans were not realized the remaining hull of the Canadiana was cut up for scrap in 2004. The ships engine was salvaged and returned to Buffalo to be part of a planned exhibit. Much of the wooden superstructure was saved including the pilot house. Some of the salvaged wood has been manufactured into various memorabilia
 

Name: SS Canadiana
Owner: Lake Erie Excursion Company (1910-1924)
Buffalo and Crystal Beach Corporation (1924-1947)
Crystal Beach Transit Company (1947 - 1956)
Seaway Excursion Lines (1958-1959)
Toledo Excursion Lines, Inc.(1959-1960)
Lucas County Bank (June - December 1960)
Pleasurama Excursion Lines, Inc. (1960-1966)
S. Parella of Cleveland, Ohio (1966-1967)
Mobrays Floating Equipment Exchange Inc. (March 7 - March 15, 1967)
Waterman Steamship Corporation (1967-1968)
Tropicana Products Inc. (March 20 - March 28, 1968)
Sea-Land Service Inc. (March - April 1968)
Maritime Administration (April - June 1968)
Jim Vinci of Cleveland Ohio (June 1968- May 1983)
Northrup Contracting Company (May 1983 - April 1984)
Friends of the Canadiana (April 1984 - June 1993)
Canadiana Restoration Project (1993- onward)
Builder: Buffalo Dry Dock Company of Buffalo, New York
Cost: $250,000
Yard number: 215
Launched: March 15, 1910
Maiden voyage: May 30, 1910
Identification: US 207479
Nickname: "The Crystal Beach Boat"
Fate: Remaining hull scrapped at Port Colborne, Ontario Canada in 2004.
General characteristics
Class and type: Passenger ferry
Tonnage: 974 tons gross
427 tons net
Length: 215 ft (66 m)
Beam: 54 ft (16 m)
Height: 16.1 ft (4.9 m)
Decks: 3
Installed power: Detroit Ship Building Company 1910 Coal fired triple-expansion steam engine
Piston #1: 20 in (51 cm)
Piston #2: 30 in (76 cm)
Piston #3: 50 in (130 cm)
Stroke Length: 36 in (91 cm)
1,446 shp
Propulsion: Single propeller
Capacity: 3,500 passengers (when launched)

1,800 passengers (down rated)

 

Copyright SS Canadiana  and Mr. Lee Online  All Rights Reserved.